Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Inauguration

I consider myself more politically aware than the average bear. I've been voting since I was 18 years old. Now in my 40s, I can say this is the first time I voted for someone as opposed to voting against his or her opponent. Today as I watched the inauguration proceedings, I was genuinely moved and proud to be an American. I don't know if it's because he's the first African-American elected and it feels like we taken a giant step in that regard, or if it's his youth and charisma or his apparent straightforwardness - a welcome change. I don't know how Obama will do, he's got huge problems on his (our) plate, but I have faith - for the moment - that his intention is true and that he has the power to provide inspiration to a country that disparately needs it. The last 8 years have been a national and international nightmare. Perhaps we can begin to wake up from that and face a new, brighter day.

1 comment:

High Desert Diva said...

I swear I could have written this post. Like you, I've been voting since I was 18 and am now in my 40's and this was the first time I've voted for a particular person rather than against a republican.

I am so energized and hopeful.

What a wonderful day!