Saturday, May 2, 2009

Miracle Whip Facial

No, this isn't some weird sexual proclivity. It is about actually giving yourself a skin treatment with something you might have in your fridge right now.

I've never had what would be considered good skin. Because of this I never gave much thought to skin care as it didn't seem to matter or make a difference. I also grew up in Miami where we spent hours out in the sun. These two things have me, at this late date, trying to make up for lost time. *cut to shot of Judi going down drugstore aisles dumping loads of expensive creams and such into basket* Various and sundry products have yielded various and sundry results. One of the things I have found that does work (for me) is not found in the drugstore, but the grocery store. Online I found out about using Kraft Miracle Whip as a peel. I read that facial peels are a good way to help renew dull, tired, damaged skin. Spa peels are very expensive and I couldn't see myself spending that kind of money on my skin. I was willing, however, to drop a few bucks on a jar of Miracle Whip (uh, no, there wasn't one already in the house...). Even if I just tried it once and it didn't work or I didn't like it, it wasn't a big deal.

Here's how it works: you slather a thin layer of the stuff all over your face (and on your neck if you want) and leave it on for 10 - 15 minutes. The vinegar acts as a peel and the mayo part acts as moisturizer. After time is up, you rub your face with your fingertips and you'll see the skin balling up. It's amazing! I tend to use this just before I step into a shower where I wash the rest off, and then, because the mayo is a bit much for me, I gently wash with Noxema (my normal face wash).

The pros: this stuff works great for me! My skin feels wonderful. It seems to be smoothing some of the little wrinkles and evening out the tone. And, since it's only a few dollars and there are lots of applications in each jar, it's a great value (and is more effective for me than the expensive stuff).

The cons: well, frankly, Miracle Whip stinks. Smear it all over your face and the smell can be overwhelming. I can actually deal with the smell, but the vinegar fumes make my eyes water. For the 10 minutes, I either fan myself, walk around, open a window, or deal with it. It also leaves my skin quite red for an hour or so after use, so I don't use it if I'm leaving the house right after my shower. It's recommended to avoid sun exposure after use (of any peel) because you've just removed a layer of skin and you're susceptible to burning and sun damage.

There are other "from the kitchen" skin treatments I've read about - honey, plain yogurt - that you can Google to learn more about too. And that's today's Beauty Tips With Judi!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just tried it and now my husband wants to do it too. He laughed at me sitting with my generic miracle whip on my face, but couldn't believe how my face looked and felt after the treatment.