Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Beach Day

Being that it was 100 degrees in Portland yesterday, I decided to take the dog to the beach for a cool-off. I didn't feel like driving all the way to the coast, so I thought I'd check out Sauvie Island Beach for the first time. Sauvie Island is just a teeny bit north of Portland on the Columbia river. It's quite pretty with farms (and u-pick fields!), homes, wildlife preserves and long stretches of river beach. It was Tuesday and I figured - since I got a late start - that the beach wouldn't be so crowded. Silly me. On a hot, sunny Portland summer afternoon the place was packed. The pictures don't really show just how many people were out. It was like Coney Island! Ok, maybe not that bad, but I was surprised. Who are all these people? Don't they have jobs? They can't all be stay-at-home crafters... Although I didn't get a swim in because I had to keep an eye on the dog, the cold river water was luscious to wade into. Kana had a blast charging into the water after her tennis ball and got very irked (see photo) at me for making her lay down and rest a bit. If a dog can glare, this would be it. We weren't there nearly long enough, but I'll be back soon.

3 comments:

Leah said...

excellent - you found the beach out there! someday I'll have to check it out, sounds great!!!

Curly Girl Glass said...

I'm totally up for going back soon...

High Desert Diva said...

Water of any sort is good.

Kana definitely does not look happy in that photo!