Sunday, February 24, 2008

Pleasure Principle

I recently posted a silly thread on the Etsy forums called Things I Like. Thinking about it later, I realized that a lot of pleasurable things other people were posting don't even occur to me anymore. In the past couple of years, my life has become so insular and isolated that my previous ideas of pleasure - even at a simple, everyday level - have been transformed into the "I've heard of that", not even the "I used to do that". It's not that I don't find pleasure in things (I started the thread afterall), it's just startling how dramatically what they are has changed.

All this leads to two conclusions:
1) you never know how something silly like that thread can provide profound fodder for self-examination, and
2) it's a really good thing I found something like jewelry making, that I can do at home alone, that gives me such pleasure. Else I'd be shitouttaluck.

No comments: